Skip to main content

Understanding Tokens

When someone pays a Juicebox Project, they are rewarded with tokens.

If your project has a funding target, any additional funds received are considered overflow. Tokens can be redeemed to claim a proportional amount of the overflow. For example, a wallet with 1% of the total token supply can redeem those tokens to claim 1% of the overflow.

If Allow minting tokens is enabled, the project owner can mint any amount of tokens to any wallet. Once a project is created, the project owner can use Juicebox to issue ERC-20 tokens for their project. Future payers will receive ERC-20 tokens, and existing token holders can claim ERC-20 tokens based off of existing token balances.

These tokens can then be used to connect with services such as Snapshot for off-chain voting, or any other service that is compatible with the ERC-20 standard.

Reserved Tokens​

The Reserved Tokens section determines what percentage of tokens goes to the payer and what percentage of tokens goes to a designated list of Ethereum wallets and Juicebox projects.

  • Reserved tokens determines what percentage of token issuance is reserved.
  • Allocate reserved tokens determines how reserved tokens will be distributed. By default, reserved tokens go to the project owner.


Juicebox projects can enable a Discount rate and Bonding curve rate.

  • Discount rate is a percentage that changes the cost of issuing tokens over time. Each funding cycle, the amount of tokens issued per ETH will decrease by the discount rate. Generally, this will reward people who fund your project earlier.
  • Bonding curve rate changes the amount of overflow that each token can be redeemed for. A Bonding curve rate of 60% means that tokens can be redeemed for 60% of the value they correspond to. The other 40% remains in the treasury, increasing the value of other tokens and rewarding long-term token holders.